In our house we love movies, but especially Christmas movies. It’s the time of year that it’s cold outside and the sun goes down early and the best feeling in the world is getting comfy in a blanket on the couch (or in a reclining chair) and drinking hot chocolate. So while we have enjoyed hundreds of movies and tv specials over the last 20 years, here are just a few of the movies that we enjoy so much.
This first group of movies consist of some of the classics that make our Christmas so special.
- White Christmas – I mean come on “I’m dreaming of a White Christmas” is just a beautifully sung line that just gets me in the mood for Christmas – even if I don’t want a white Christmas.
- Miracle on 34th Street
- It’s A Wonderful Life
Next, we have the family movies that everyone, whether you’re 0 or 100, will love. Some are cartoons, some are live action, but all of them embody the Christmas spirit.
- The Grinch – The original, live-action, and the most recent version (2018) of this story are all great. Each version is a completely different experience
- Home Alone
- Eloise at Christmastime – Don’t we all want to go to the Plaza?
- Arthur Christmas
- The Polar Express – Hot Chocolate!
- A Christmas Carol
- A Charlie Brown Christmas
- Jingle Jangle – Now, Jingle Jangle is the most recent Christmas movie we watched as a family and all I can say is that David E. Talbert and the team that put this movie together did a fantastic job. Hands down one of my favorite movies this year.
Last, but most definitely not least, we have the movies that the older kids and adults can really enjoy.
- Die Hard – This is by far one of my mom’s favorite movie franchises and we wouldn’t have the franchise without the original. (p.s. I would love it if someone reading this could make one more movie happen in which John makes amends with his wife from the first movie. They don’t have to get together or anything, but my mom really needs closure on the topic. Thank you!)
- Last Christmas – “Last Christmas I gave you my heart…” That is it. That is all. Ok, wait I need to say more. This is more of a heartfelt, figuring out who you are sort of movie with a little bit of comedy and romance.
- Christmas with the Kranks – A Christmas comedy for the whole family.
- Last Holiday – Queen Latifah and LL Cool J, but mostly Queen Latifah.
- This Christmas
- The Best Man Holiday – I could not forget about this
- The Holiday
- The Preacher’s Wife – Whitney Houston and Denzel Washington act in a great rendition of The Bishop’s Wife (1947).
Of course, these aren’t the only movies that make the Christmas season special. There are so many more movies that I did not put on this list. So if you have some movies that I left off or forgot, put them in the comments and we’ll check them out.